Our youth engage in service to our church family, mission and local outreach, and take active roles in worship services. There is a place for everyone at NDPC – we hope you will join us!
From September – May, the Sunday school hour falls between the early worship service (8:30 a.m.) and the 11:00 a.m. worship service.
2018 Auction Items.
AUCTION ITEMS UP FOR BIDDING ON SUNDAY, February 11th
Tentative Live Auction Items
- Beer Tasting –Pam and Jill will come to you or you can go to them. Enjoy this beer tasting for up to 10 people.
- Blue Grass Band–Enjoy live bluegrass music at your next gathering by the Garden Fresh Pickers with Annie Godfrey on banjo.
- Weekend at Cottage on the Leslie’s Farm–Enjoy a long weekend in the “Chicken House” (a lovely cottage!) on Kent Leslie’s Family Farm! Hiking, fishing, and boating at lake, tennis, swimming in the pool, hammock time- all included. Within a short walking distance or drive from Kennesaw State Park.
- Long Weekend at Murphy’s Mountain Lakehouse-– Spend 4 days, 3 nights at beautiful Lake Chatuge surrounded by the Nantahala mountains located in Hayesville, NC. Available during the fall/winter/spring months on mutually agreed upon date. 5 bedrooms, 4 baths plus sleeping loft accommodates up to 20 people. 2 kayaks, canoe, and fishing poles available for use.
- Rigatoni Dinner– Chef Carl Parlato will cook you dinner! Red sauce with turkey, meatballs, salad, and bread. Wine included. And yes, they will clean up after the meal!
- 10 Days in Highlands, NC at the Topple Inn – 10 days in Topple Inn outside of Highlands July 13-22. It is a three bedroom, two bath cabin with two queen sized beds and two twin beds. There is a pond with frogs and salamanders, and the temperature in summer is always at least ten degrees cooler than Atlanta. Hiking opportunities abound! (Available the same weekend as the Duchon Den, which sleeps 6. Both are within walking distance)
- 10 Days in Highlands, NC at the Duchon Den – 10 days at the Duchons outside of Highlands July 13-22. The cabin can accommodate up to 6 comfortably. Cabin is within a short walking distance of the Topple Inn, which is available the same weekend.
- Mexican Fiesta for 12 – Becky Evans and Susan Castle will bring the party to you with a catered Mexican Fiesta for 12. Arriba! Enchiladas, fresh salsa and guacamole, rice & beans, citrusy salad, and Becky’s famous secret ingredient Margaritas included! We will even bring music and decorations! You just provide the location, the guests, and additional drinks! To be redeemed between August 15 and December 15, 2018
- Gourmet Pizza Dinner – Enjoy a delicious gourmet pizza dinner for 8 in the Godwin’s home. Dinner includes pizza, beer and/or wine.
- Day at the Zoo – Kids who love animals will love spending time at the Atlanta zoo with Macon and Ike (and one of their parents) while you get the morning off! As a regular volunteer at the zoo, Ike knows lots of fun facts about the animals and zoo life and he’s ready to share. Macon may not know as much about the zoo, but he knows lots about other things that will keep the kids entertained on this outing. Good for up to 4 children, 5 and older. Expires 2/11/19
- Babysitting by Avery – Enjoy a night out on the town and leave the kids at home with experienced sitter Avery Godwin. Imagine the fun that your kids are going to have. Good for up to four hours.
- Tea Party – Won’t your little one love attending a tea party with the big girls, Audrey and Claire, while you enjoy the childcare. Date and Time to be agreed upon.
- Soccer Camp – Bryden and Kristin, soccer extraordinaires, with years of playing experience will organize a private camp for your child and a negotiable number of friends. They’ll plan your birthday party or playdate.
Silent Auction Items: For You and Your Home
- Painting by Woody– This is your chance to own an original painting by our own Artist-in-Residence, Woody Hickox.
- Iron Sculpture – Kent Leslie is offering an original piece of iron art
- Walnut Spire – A handcrafted sculpture made from walnut from our very own Bob Leslie
- Landscape Consultation – Diane Wilkes will come to your home and offer suggestions and tips for landscaping around your home.
- Real Estate Consultation – Details coming
- Closet Organization – Is your closet overflowing, but you feel like you never have anything to wear? Have trouble finding that perfect outfit or favorite sweater when you need it? Caroline can help you organize your closet! She will visit your home at a mutually convenient time, organize and rearrange your closet to maximize functionality, and help you decide which clothes to keep, which can go, and what your wardrobe is missing. The average closet makeover takes approximately 3-4 hours. Purchase of organizational supplies (if needed/wanted) is not included in this bid. Home visit can be scheduled May 1 – July 31, 2018.
- Doll House – Large 2-story hand crafted doll house. This house was first owned by Lizzie Duffield and then passed along to Carmen Ramirez. You could be the next homeowner!
- Original Art – Take home an original painting by Avery Godwin
- Meditative Mandala – Choose a word from the bulletin: hope, joy, love, peace, justice, family, welcome – any word that is sacred to you. Ellen will create a mandala around it, surround it with upcycled paper (also made from NDPC bulletins) and gold/silver leaf and frame it in a lasting keepsake. She will work with you to customize the color scheme and frame finish. These make thoughtful and unique gifts for birthdays, baptisms, weddings, ordinations or any other special day in the church’s life or your own.
Silent Auction Items: Entertainment and Leisure
- Weekend at the Godwin Cabin– Spend the weekend at the Godwin’s Cabin in Rabun County – It sleeps 6 with 2 Bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms Most importantly, there is access to Lake Burton. Dogs welcome. *Extra nights are negotiable.
- One Week at Montreat Mountain Home-– Enjoy 1 week at Montreat, NC. This 5 bedroom, 5 bath is a wonderful two story house with carport, ample parking, and deck overlooking a creek. Lots of space for accommodating large groups. Main floor has 3 bedrooms and 3 baths, kitchen, family room with working fireplace, small eating and sitting areas. The long living/dining room has a banquet table that seats 14. PLEASE NOTE that this house does not have a television or air-conditioning. Dates to be negotiated for October, excluding the summer.
- Atlanta United Tickets – Two tickets to see Atlanta United play the Philadelphia Union on June 2nd at 7pm. Tickets in section 103, supporters section. Tickets will be transferred electronically.
- Atlanta United Tickets – 2 tickets to the April 28 game against Montreal Impact, section 107 row 17, great seats! Tickets will be transferred electronically.
- Atlanta United Tickets – Two tickets to the June 2, 2018 Atlanta United v. Philadelphia Union soccer match at Mercedes Benz Stadium. The seats are Sec. 206, Row 11, Seats 5 and 6. Go Five Stripes! Tickets will be transferred electronically.
- Golf with Rev. Lewicki – Think you beat Rev. Lewicki at a round of gold? Find out over 18 rounds.
- Breakfast with Rev. Lewicki – Enjoy some dining delights and conversation with Reverend Lewicki. His treat.
- Hike with Rev. Waltemath – Take a hike with Rev. Waltemath up Stone Mountain (before September 1st)
- Smoothies with Rev. Waltemath – Meet up with Rev. Waltemath for conversation and smoothies at Kale Me Krazy in downtown Decatur.
- Tea Time with Rev. Waltemath – Join Rev. Waltemath on her front porch for some of her homemade Tea Cake and Tea.
- Game Night with Amanda – Come to her house or she’ll come to yours. She’ll bring her favorite games, dinner, and festive beverages (appropriate for the age of the group). Good for any sized family or group of friends!
- Tickets to the Fox for an upcoming show – Details coming
- Private Yoga Session – Private Yoga session for you tailored to your physical and emotional needs. We can develop this together and you will experience the session and have a written set of postures (asanas) that you can practice on your own.
- Group Yoga Session – Invite 3 more friends and have a group yoga session 1 1/2 hour that will include Asana (postures) and Yoga Nidra (25 minute guided relaxation meditation). You will need to provide the place to do the yoga session (i.e. in your home)
- Professional Archiving Service – Family papers, photos, collections, or books, organized, housed, labeled and described. Bidding on 1st hour only . $30.00 per hour (a steal!) for hours 2-5 as needed. Extra hours, basic preservation care negotiable.
- Slide Scanning and Organizing Service – Time to go digital! Get your slides individually scanned and saved on CD. Original scan and enhanced copy (light, red eye etc.) Bidding on first hour only. $30.00 per hour ( a steal!) after, up to 5 hours. Extra work negotiable. Professional housing of slides also available upon negotiation.
Silent Auction Items: Dining Delights
- Chocolate Chip Cookies– Mary Ellis’ famous cowboy chocolate chip cookies. Need anything else be said?!
- Caramel Cake– Take home one of Susan Castle’s extra yummy Caramel Cakes.
- BBQ Dinner – The Godwins are firing up their Big Green Egg for this one. Enjoy a delicious dinner home cooked dinner BBQ dinner for 8 to be delivered to your home on a mutually agreed upon date.
- Brunch with Jen – I will prepare, serve, and most importantly, clean up! a brunch for you and five of your friends in your home. You’ll have a choice between a Mexican-style menu (chilaquiles verdes with poached eggs) or quiche (two kinds: leek, and salmon and dill) menu. Each also includes fresh fruit, pastries, and juice (mimosas, if you’re fancy!). You’ll just need to provide coffee and tableware. I’ll arrive with everything else, an hour before your guests to finish preparations. And I’ll slip away with all the dirty cookware, leaving your kitchen tidy, while you enjoy time with your guests. Date (a Saturday) to be negotiated with winning bidder!
- Cookies – Homemade by Annie Godfrey
- Homebaked Bread – Ellen Herbert will bake you two loaves of handcrafted sourdough wild yeast raised artisan bread. Make arrangements with the baker for a pick up time.
- Vintage Bottle of Wine – Chaiteau Suduiraut . Sauternes 2001 SNCE CHATEAU SUDUIRAUT, PROPRIETAIRE A PREIGNAC. FRANCE This vintage dessert wine from France was ranked #9 on Wine Spectator Top 100 Wines of 2004!, the Suduiraut 2001 has an attractive bouquet of honeycomb, passion fruit and a touch of petrol that are well defined, if not as complex as more recent vintages such as the 2009. The palate is well balanced with fine citrus lemon and apricot notes. The perfect compliment to your special occasion!
- Gift Certificate to Community BBQ – $25.00
- 3 Dozen Cinnamon Rolls – Home-made to order in the Reeve’s Kitchen (may be subdivided requests)
Silent Auction Items: At Your Service
- Tutoring – Alan will offer 3 hour tutoring session for an elementary age child
- A Day at the Gym – Certified Group Fitness Instructor Darryl Payne will host you at the Decatur Family Y for one Saturday. Includes a physical fitness consultation, introduction to equipment, suggestions for an exercise plan and option to participate in his Barre and/or Body Pump class and personal cycling instruction
- Junk Removal – If you’re preparing for a move or ready to downsize, College Hunks Hauling Junk move the stuff you love and get rid of the stuff you don’t. Good for one free truck load.
- Ultimate Frisbee Clinic – An area high school Ultimate Frisbee coach (and perhaps a couple of his players) will provide instruction in an active session to teach you and a small group of your choice the basics of a sport that is taking the world (including our part of Atlanta) by storm. Ultimate’s appeal is not only in the thrill of play but in the sport’s commitment to high level sports personship through self-officiating. Find out what all the fuss is about, and learn to play a little yourself. Date and location negotiable.
- Guitar Lessons – Have you ever wanted to become a better guitar player? Would you like to have some short cuts from a seasoned player on how to better adapt to this strange matrixed-like instrument where each hand is doing something radically different than the other? Would you like some “tough love” feedback that helps you understand that there really are no short cuts? How about some motivation to get you back in the habit of daily practice?
NDPC member Dave Leonard, a life-long guitar player, is offering 3 hours of lessons (in either half-hour or hour-long format) with this auction offering. Date and times of lessons, as well as specific content of lessons can be worked out directly with Dave. Beginners, novices, and experienced players are welcome to bid.
- Spiritual Direction – Mary Anona Stoops is offering three sessions of spiritual direction.
- Firewood – One pick up truckload of split, seasoned, oak firewood. Delivered to your home!
- High School Chemistry Tutoring – Good for 6 Hours of 1 on 1 tutoring of Chemisty by a retired science teacher.
8th & 9th graders and above are encouraged to attend our confirmation classes, which are offered every year on Sunday mornings. Be prepared to explore spirituality and the great questions and traditions of our faith. Questions, experiences, certainties, and doubts are all welcome!
DatesSundays from November through May
Time9:30 – 10:30 AM
LocationHigh School Youth Room
More Details (PDF)
Fellowship and Retreats
We genuinely enjoy each other! From time to time, we like to take an outing somewhere in the city, whether it be to the local bowling ally or to meet up at the Yogurt Tap for a cool treat.
We usually take a retreat or two during the year, as well as a youth conference during the summer. High School students spend a week at Montreat, and Middle School youth travel to Massanetta Springs for a long weekend.
DatesOccasional – check the calendar
Mission, Service, and Outreach
Mission trips and service learning are powerful opportunities to witness to and be a witness of God’s love in our world. We serve our local church community as well as those who are beyond our walls.
Each summer, the Senior High youth travel together for a week of mission, alternating among rural, urban and international experiences. Past trips have taken us to Miami, Guatemala and the Appalachian mountains of Tennessee.
DatesOne week each Summer
Sunday evening fellowship meetings happen every week during our program year (September – May). Dinner starts at 6:00 PM, followed by the program.
Junior High and Senior High groups meet separately. Be sure to check out the calendar to know what’s going on. On occasion we like to change things up – just to keep you on your toes!
DatesSundays from September through May
Time6:00 – 7:30 PM
Sunday School Classes
Weekly Sunday School classes are offered for Junior High (6th – 8th grades) and Senior High (9th – 12th grades) students, and each have their own classes.
The middle school youth often watch movies and discuss their theological themes. The senior high youth sometimes enjoy making waffles (and eating them too!), while engaging in a variety of topics relating faith to our lives.