Thank you for your interest in this training – unfortunately registration is now full. For questions or to be placed on the waitlist, please contact [email protected] with any questions.
ABOUT THIS FACILITATOR TRAINING COURSE
This event is a weekend-long, intensive facilitator training for Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education (OWL), grade levels 7th – 12th. Participants in this training will complete the necessary course that will then allow them to facilitate an OWL program(s) for their community/school/congregation.
This training requires adequate time for facilitators to become familiar with the curriculum and to practice teaching. This training is designed to begin early Thursday evening and end Saturday afternoon, since training requires approximately 22 hours of instruction.
- When: Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 3 p.m. until Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 2 p.m.
- Where: North Decatur Presbyterian Church (611 Medlock Road, Decatur, GA 30033)
- Who: Individuals (25 and older) who intend to lead an OWL program in their community
- Cost: $250 (most meals included; curriculum material not included)
- Note: Participants will need their own copies of OWL Curriculum (for whichever level you are doing) and the companion book “Sexuality and Our Faith.” You can order OWL resources online through UCC Resources. UCC participants may call 800-537-3394 and tell them you are a participant in this OWL course and you will be offered 25% off. This discount only applies to UCC participants.
Thursday, November 2nd (Dinner & Light Snacks provided)
· 3:00 pm: Arrival/Registration/Training
· 5:00 pm: Light Dinner
· 6:00 – 9:00 pm: Training
Friday, November 3rd (Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks provided, Dinner on your Own)
· 8:00 am: Arrival/Light Breakfast
· 9:00 am – 6:00 pm: Training
Sat, November 4th (Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks provided)
· 8:00 am: Arrival/Light Breakfast
· 9:00 am – 2:00 pm: Training
The quality of facilitation plays a major role in the success of any sexuality education program. It is very important to choose Our Whole Lives facilitators carefully and to provide them with the training they need to do their work well.
The Our Whole Lives training programs for facilitators have these primary purposes:
- To ensure facilitator competency in three areas: knowledge of sexuality, facilitation skills, and embodiment of OWL values and assumptions during facilitation;
- To strengthen, extend, and deepen Our Whole Lives values; and
- To introduce to and/or support participants in the concept of integrating sexuality into the ministry and mission of their congregation (or organization). Our Whole Lives/Sexuality and Our Faith training programs are a collaborative effort
Potential facilitators must attend a training program to prepare to lead Our Whole Lives/Sexuality and Our Faith in congregations.
Training provides an opportunity to:
- See trainers model the curricula activities as they were designed to be conducted.
- Experience a supportive environment to practice skills and receive constructive feedback.
- Network with other Our Whole Lives/Sexuality and Our Faith facilitators and to share ideas about what will and won’t work in their groups.
- Get in touch with one’s own attitudes and assumptions regarding sexuality.
- To connect one’s own sexuality in a nurturing environment.
- To assess, along with the trainers, one’s readiness to be an Our Whole Lives facilitator at this time.
ABOUT OUR WHOLE LIVES SEXUALITY EDUCATION (OWL)
Our Whole Lives is a series of comprehensive sexuality education curricula for six age groups: grades K-1, grades 4-6, grades 7-9, grades 10-12, young adult, and adult. The program and its elective companion, Sexuality and Our Faith, provide an opportunity for children, youth, and adults to learn about sexuality in the affirming and supportive setting of our religious communities. When used without Sexuality and Our Faith, Our Whole Lives is an excellent option for schools, other faith traditions, community-serving organizations, and at-home schooling.
Our Whole Lives helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. It equips them with accurate, developmentally appropriate information in human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture. Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, it provides not only facts about anatomy and human development, but also supports participants in clarifying values, integrating sexual and spiritual understandings, building interpersonal skills, and understanding the spiritual, emotional, social, and political aspects of sexuality.
We know that life happens! We also know that an enormous amount of unpaid time and effort goes into planning these types of events. We honor you and the hardworking folks who organized this training. Therefore, cancellations made on or before 9/15 will be refunded minus a $50 non-refundable portion of the fee. Cancellations made after 9/15 will be allowed a 50% refund. Cancellations made after 10/15 will not be refunded.
Thank you for your understanding. Please contact [email protected] for questions.
Thank you for your interest in this training - unfortunately registration is now full. For questions or to be placed on the waitlist, please contact [email protected] with any questions.